Monday, May 21, 2012

I thought of something that might be helpful for folks planning a trip of this size or a smaller one, for that matter.  I've been diagnosed with scarring on the lining of my lungs - probably from working in the woodshop and not taking enough care to not inhale the dust and wood mold.  So now, I am on 2 liters of continuous oxygen at night because my oxygen saturation rate drops to scary levels when I sleep.  I had an oxygen concentrator at home compliments of Medicare but the oxygen company said not to take it out of the country.  Besides, its big and noisy.  How am I going to be able to go to Canada and Alaska?  So if you are on oxygen just at night, 24 hours a day, continuous flow or pulse delivery, here's an idea if you want to still travel and don't want to mess with oxygen tanks.

I researched and googled and decided on a "Simply Go Portable Oxygen Concentrator" by Respironics.  I ordered it online,  It is small, extremely efficient and oh, so quiet.  Like it's name implies, it concentrates the oxygen out of the air and delivers it via a cannula.  It only delivers up to 2 liters on continuous flow or it delivers at different rates on pulse flow.  It wasn't what I call cheap, but you just can't put a price on a good time and I wanna go fishin'!

The unit was ordered through OxiMedical Respiratory in Phoenix and it comes with a 3-year warranty, all kinds of goodies, including A/C and D/C adapters, rechargeable battery and a wheeled cart.  Not heavy though; it only weighs 10 pounds.  I just thought this was good information to pass on.

We leave for Canada around June 10 so we are counting down the days.

1 comment:

  1. Jane & Connie ... have a great trip. You'll have to give a presentation of your trip at some future Free Wheeler outing.

    ReplyDelete